Monday, February 11, 2008

Almost everything you need to know is online

Here is a lesson I keep learning over and over........almost everything you need to know is online.

One of the online learners was figuring out how to hook up a laptop to her cable connection. My main role is an online teacher, not a technician, but there are things that people end up needing to know every once in a while, and Google often saves the day.

Is your computer connected to Cable?
Checking for your MAC address is one of the things that come up every once in a while when someone changes computers and is connected to Cable.
I keep forgetting that I can find the answers to almost anything using Google. I caught myself reaching for the telephone to bother a technician with this little detail. Instead, I "googled" how to find a MAC address, and came up with the following instructions:

(click Start, then Run, then type cmd in the text box.)
Type in ipconfig/all in the Command Prompt Windows.
The 12-digit Physical Address is the same as MAC address

I hope I can remember this lesson now........when in doubt, you can probably find a fast answer by using Google.

No comments: